Choosing The Right Single Use Bioreactor System
Traditional bioreactors allow for process optimization that leads to improved cell health and product yield. However, the time and cost associated with cleaning and maintaining a traditional bioreactor can be prohibitory for certain applications.
Single Use Bioreactors (SUBs) are now being widely adopted because they eliminate the need for cleaning, which reduces downtime and makes the cGMP process easier.
Use Cases and Advantages of Single Use Bioreactors
- Mammalian Cell Culture.
- Vaccine production.
- Antibody production.
- T-cell based therapeutics.
- Stem cells for differentiation studies and cell therapies.
- Insect cells for protein and vaccine production.
Advantages of SUBs vs. Traditional Bioreactor
- Makes cGMP process easier, eliminating validation issues because cleaning step is removed.
- Shorter downtime and turnaround time due to elimination of cleaning steps.
- Lower risk of batch contamination and cross-contamination.
- Decreased operating cost and capital (initial) investment, savings on utilities, space, cleaning chemicals, and labor.
- Quick adoption and modularity of single technologies.
- Potentially increased production (quick turnover/less downtime.)
Types of Single Use Bioreactors
There are two main types of SUBs: stirred and rocking. This video explains it well:
The technology of bioreactors has improved in leaps and bounds in the last decade.
Major brands of SUBs come in a variety of shapes and configurations, however few of these offer customization, limiting the user’s options for process development. Solaris Biotech USA offers virtually endless options for customization that can help to optimize process and yield, putting power back into the hands of the end user.
Key Advantages of BlackBox + Single Use Vessel System
- Endlessly customizable.
- Process optimization (due to custom design.)
- Increased productivity (profusion options available.)
- Materials (All components in media contact are ISO10993, USP class VI certified materials.)
- Many options for spargers, temperature, stators, impellers, and sensors.
- Control with BlackBox PCS/Leonardo Software
- Fully compatible with major single use vessels and PCS on the market like Eppendorf, DASGIP®, Applikon® ,Sartorius®, Finesse®, etc.
- ThermoBox for temperature regulation.
- Heating Blanket.
- Re-Usable Jacket with electrical heaters.
- Off-gas filter heater.
- Weight Measurement.